Wednesday 29 November 2023

Subjunctive in English (C1)

 

The subjunctive

- Very formal

- Present subjunctive = infinitive

- Past subjunctive = Past simple

- Negative subjunctive: NOT

 

1. Exclamations to express wish/hope

God bless you!

Long live the King!

 

2. In poetry

If this be the error, and upon me proved… (W. Shakespeare)

 

3. “if need be” = if it is necessary

If need be we can bring another car.

 

4. After verbs that can be followed by THAT + should sometimes we omit should:

Order, command, insist, demand, request, ask, recommend, propose, suggest

I recommended that each competitor (should) receive €100.

He suggested that a petition (should) be drawn up.

 

5. In uncertain, unreal or desirable situations:

IT IS + ADJECTIVE + THAT + SUBJUNCTIVE (very formal!)

It is vital that we be here soon.

It is best that you not be at the meeting.

 

If I were rich, I would by a Mercedes.

I wish I were younger.


Practice!!

Explanation + Practice

No comments:

Post a Comment